The Welgelegen farm runs along the foothills of the Witteberg Mountains and was part of the neighbouring farm Bloemhoek. A family graveyard on the Farm Bloemhoek dates back to 1853. One of the daughters inherited a portion of the farm, and it was named Welgelegen, the old sandstone farmhouse was built in the late 1890s.
When the daughter passed away, the farm was registered in her husband’s name, Matthys Andries Gerhardus Mulder in 1920.
In 1936 the farm Welgelegen was sold to the brothers’ John Wauchope Reid and Thomas William Reid who again sold the farm to Arthur Joseph Macaskill.
In 1975 the farm Welgelegen was acquired by O.F.S Farm Developers (Pty) Ltd and the owners started to plant cherry trees in 1976 and continued with the planting of cherry trees into the 1990s. Construction work on the dam started in 1977.
The Welgelegen farm was bought by the Thinus Grobbelaar family in December 2008 and a process was started to rejuvenate the cherry trees and the neglected farm.
New Appels Orchards were planted in 2009 and 2010. The Apple- and Cherry houses were renovated and completed in 2011. In 2012 the old worker houses were converted into 10 Chalets. A new hostel was built for the workers with running water, toilets, showers and a TV room.
The Venue and Bridal Suite were built in 2013 and in December 2013 the first wedding was held. The old sandstone farmhouse was renovated in 2015 and n 2018, 15 of the newest varieties of cherry trees were planted. Another 8 Chalets were added in 2019.
The Venue now has accommodation for 76 guests, with all catering done inhouse and the venue has established an excellent reputation.
Since the acquisition by the Grobbelaar family, the Welgelegen Farm has been developed in a diversified business with income from Cherries, Appels, Cattle and Hospitality.
We praise the Lord for His blessings.